Parent Category: Minutes
Category: Board of Aldermen - Minutes
MINUTES OF THE PUBLIC MEETING OF THE TOWN OF ST. FRANCISVILLE MAYOR AND BOARD OF ALDERMEN, ST. FRANCISVILLE, LA, TUESDAY, MARCH 22, 2016 at 5:30 P. M.
The Town of St. Francisville Board of Aldermen met in regular session this 22nd day of March, 2016 at 11936 Ferdinand St., Town Hall, St. Francisville, LA. The meeting was called to order at 5:34 p. m. with the following members present: Mayor William H. D’Aquilla, Aldermen James R. Leake, Aldermen Robert P. Leake, Alderman Gigi Robertson and Alderman Abby T. Cochran. Also present were Police Chief Scott Ford, Main Street Manager Laurie Walsh and Clerk Shannon Sturgeon
Absent: Alderman James Davis and Town Attorney Jesse Means.
The pledge was led by Damon Dawson.
Town Attorney Jesse Means joined the meeting at 5:36 pm.
On motion by James R. Leake and seconded by Abby T. Cochran, the minutes of March 8, 2016 were approved as submitted. All in favor, motion carried.
Damon Dawson and Pamela Smith spoke to the Mayor and Board of Alderman regarding the store standards of the Dollar General on Hwy.61. They have been trying to contact the corporate office by email to report issues but have not received a response. Chief Ford responded that he had personally gone to the business and requested that the trash outside of the building be picked up. He then presented pictures to show that the Dollar General had cooperated by cleaning up the parking lot. Fire Chief Thomas Robinson had also gone by the store to advise them to keep all fire exits clear and the store complied. Mayor D’Aquilla requested that issues like these be reported to Chief Scott Ford and that the Town would respond if an ordinance was violated, however, the Town cannot tell them how to run their business.
Authorization for Emergency Repairs to 8” Water Main
Mayor D’Aquilla submitted a request for emergency repairs to an 8” water main behind the Post Office that was damaged during the heavy rains on March 11th. This line is part of a loop system that allows us to back feed water towards the hospital area should we need to shut off water services to repair a break in the water line in the Hwy 61 area. Temporary repairs were made but it is critical that this line be properly repaired.
Motion made by Abby T. Cochran, seconded by Gigi Robertson to authorized Spinks Construction to make the necessary water line repairs to the loop behind the Post Office for a price of $13,000.00. All in favor, motion carried.
Engineer Bianca Hillhouse of PEC provided the following update to the Mayor by phone:
• Working of getting the bids advertised for the Water Well Replacement and Water Systems Improvements project.
Authorize Agreement with LaMats for Debt Recovery Services
• Still working to secure additional Capital Outlay Funding for Burnett Bridge and the Water Well Replacement.
The Louisiana Municipal Advisory & Technical Services Bureau Corporation (LaMats) has developed a program for the Louisiana Municipal Association (LMA) for the statewide collecting of delinquent municipal debts such as utility bills and traffic tickets. LaMats will add a 25% fee to the delinquent debt to cover the cost of collection so no collection fee will be paid by the municipality.
Motion made by Gigi Robertson, seconded by Abby T. Cochran to authorize Mayor D,Aquilla to sign an agreement with LaMats for Debt Recovery Services. All in favor, motion carried.
Introduce Ordinance 2016-3 - Motion made by Gigi Robertson, seconded by Robert P. Leake to introduce Ordinance 2016-3 – AN ORDINANCE BY THE TOWN OF ST. FRANCISVILLE, LOUISIANA TO ASSESS A COLLECTION FEE ON DEBTS REFERRED TO COLLECTION AGENCY. All in favor, motion carried.
Permitting & Planning Updates:
Update provided by new Building Official, Eric Parnell
• Met with Dick Lancaster regarding new commercial building at Live Oak Centre.
• Met with Lea Williams regarding residential buildings
• Made building inspections as requested.
– Mayor D’Aquilla
• We have received complaints regarding the band playing too loud at The Francis Restaurant and disturbing residents at the Assisi Heights Apartments. The Town and the Francis Restaurant will work together to insure that the ordinance guidelines are followed.
– Chief Scott Ford
• Chief Scott Ford requested that Mika James, a post-certified officer, be hired as a part-time officer to replaced part-time officer Matt Herrin who is leaving.
Motion made by James Leake, seconded by Robert P. Leake that Officer Mika James, be hired as a part-time officer to replaced part-time Officer Matt Herrin who is leaving, per Chief Scott Ford’s recommendation. All in favor, motion carried.
• Chief Ford advised that an appointment for the 911 Communications District was needed to replace a vacancy left by Officer Brian Herrin who is no longer working full-time for the Town of St. Francisville.
Motion made by Robert P. Leake, Seconded by Abby T. Cochran, to appoint Officer Travis Depew to the 911 Communications District. All in favor, motion carried.
Main Street Report
– Laurie Walsh
• fence at Seabrook
• Bathroom addition at Corner Cottage
• Roof at rent house – Peggy Sanders
• Porch design for Judy Norgren
• House plans for Johnathon Beckham
• Renovations & additions to Boll Weevil
• Elliott’s Sign
• Rouge Roubaix - bike race had 385 participants.
• 45TH Annual Audubon Pilgrimage – March 18th, 19th and 20th.
• Steam Boat will be in Friday.
• Queen of the Mississippi will be in Wednesday.
• The American Queen is looking for more stops and may start including a stop at the Live Oak Shopping Centre.
Motion by Abby T. Cochran, seconded by James R. Leake, to adjourn at 6:18 p.m. All in favor, motion carried.
/s/ Shannon Sturgeon /s/ William H. D’Aquilla
Shannon Sturgeon, Town Clerk William H. D’Aquilla, Mayor